Monday, February 10, 2014

Disappearing Act!

I'm sorry for my absence! It's February already and I don't really know where the time has gone. It's been a cold and snowy winter in Ohio and I feel like a bear. I just want to hibernate. So let's see what I've been up to, shall we?


I'm obsessed with this new CND shellac/Vinylux color! Mint Convertible. I could wear it every day! I also finished up this little crocheted Amigurumi unicorn for a special order. Cutie pie.


I made a few newborn baby hats, and have been working through some granny squares with leftover yarns. Pink, yellow and gray. It'll be a baby blanket when I finish. No craft shows anytime soon but I have the spring Crafty Mart in May.

Bought a couple more cookbooks to feed my addiction but I sold another Ohio string art plaque to a returning customer (Thanks Vivien!).
I've still been cooking a bunch too. And sharing with anyone who wants to eat with me!
Orange-almond-cranberry granola was a big hit! This recipe is simple and not very sweet, great for snacking!
This weekend I made my first vegan meatloaf. It is lentil and tomato paste based and this recipe is a winner in my book. The color and texture are so good that even my meat eating friend had seconds!

Vegan Lentil Meatloaf  (adapted from Lemon and Lace)

1medium onion, diced
4 cloves of garlic, minced
2T olive oil
1C lentils
2-3C water
Heat olive oil in frying pan and sauté onion until translucent. Add garlic and lentils and sauté for about 5 minutes. Add 2C water, bring to a low boil, cover loosely with lid, lower heat to a high simmer. Cook lentils, adding water if necessary, until tender (about 20-30 minutes). Drain any excess water.
In your food processor mix your cooked lentil mixture with
1C oats (quick or old fashioned)
4oz tomato paste

In a small bowl mix
4tsp flax seed meal
2T water
1tsp garlic powder
1tsp oregano
1T brown sugar
1T barbeque sauce
1tsp salt
freshly ground pepper to taste
Then add this binding mixture to your food processor and pulse until completely mixed.
Spread mixture into a loaf pan. My stoneware loaf pan is my favorite for meatloaf because it makes it crisp around the edges! Bake at 350F for 40-50 minutes and then turn out onto your serving plate.
Isn't it gorgeous?! I served this with my homemade ketchup, some oven baked potato wedges and a vegetable. Friends that couldn't make it over asked for leftovers! I'm going to use this as filling for stuffed peppers and just add a little rice into the mixture. Can't wait  :)

If you're vegetarian but not vegan you can go ahead and use an egg instead of the flax seed and water mixture.

I spent a leisurely Sunday thrift shopping and watching the Walking Dead marathon with a friend. Today will be spent catching up on chores and doing a bit of sewing. Oh! And I planted up some starts from a couple houseplants to share. I need to get some more pots. I'm itching for spring, aren't you? It'll be seed starting time soon. I've been gathering supplies because my daughter and I intend to turn our partly sunny front yard into a raised bed vegetable garden this year.

Time for lunch now. Here's to a smooth start of another wonderful week! The days are getting a little longer and we're a little closer to spring. I hope it's a great one for you too <3

No comments:

Post a Comment