Sunday, February 16, 2014

Sunday Fun Day!


Aren't you just craving spring? I know I am. It's been a long, very cold, very snowy winter here in Northeastern Ohio. Spring thaw will be welcomed. So to curb that itch I rooted a couple houseplant cuttings. I really do love houseplants! These will be off to a friend who has smokers in his apartment building. Anything to help purify the air.

What girl doesn't love shoes?! This week I became the proud inheritor (is that a real word) of multiple pair of designer vintage shoes and boots. It was like Christmas all over again!
I'll post more pictures later but aren't these fantastic? The heels are crushed velvet. The giraffe print are Italian leather with a low heel. Eeep!


Look at these great vintage finds from my thrifting adventures this week. The picture on the right shows my old food mill compared to this giant one I scored for $5! I use my food mill for applesauce, tomato sauce, and to process my pumpkins. Maybe I can find some additional uses for this big one. I also scored some vintage Corelle pieces. The Crazy Daisy pattern is my absolute favorite. It's what I ate off of growing up. And I'm a sucker for drinking glasses from the 1970s. I just can't help myself!

This morning I woke to find it snowing. Again. If I don't have to leave the house on a snowy Sunday, I won't. I started a pot of veggie stock on the back burner. It'll cook low and slow today and I'll can it up in the pressure canner. It's still soup weather! I also decided to make a batch of chewy peanut butter granola bars. I saw a recipe on Pinterest and it sounded simple and (fairly) healthy. Check it out!




Chewy Peanut Butter Granola Bars (adapted from Saving with Shellie)

In a large bowl combine:
2C quick oats
1C crisp rice cereal ( I used an organic, non GMO brown rice cereal)
1/2C golden flax seed (I used Bob's Red Mill)
1/2C sunflower seeds (because I wanted them a little heartier)

In a small pan over low heat mix together:
3/4C peanut butter (I used natural)
3/4C combined sweeteners (I used 1/4C each of honey, brown sugar and agave)
1tsp vanilla extract

Line an 8x8 baking pan with aluminum foil or parchment paper.
Once the peanut butter mixture is warm and melty and completely combined add it to the dry ingredients and mix thoroughly. Make sure there are no dry pockets in your bowl. Turn mixture into baking pan and press firmly. Refrigerate for at least one hour. Remove from pan using foil or parchment and cut into bar shapes. Makes about 10-12 depending upon size. These will keep at room temperature for about a week in an airtight container.


Be honest, they probably won't last more than a day. This is one reason I hate living alone...I WILL eat all of these.
Finished another granny square for the baby blanket I'm working on.

Turned in my application for the Spring Crafty Mart and now I need to get back into creative mode! No extra time to sit idly. Time is money!
What do you think of this embroidery? I don't have the original artist to credit because someone sent it to my phone via text. I think I'm gonna make a couple.
Oh beards!
2014 is turning out quite nicely so far. I hope it is for you as well! Fill your time with the people and things that you love. Make every minute count. Hug people! You never know how your little gestures can really touch people.

XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment