Monday, November 4, 2013

Under Construction!

Welcome!
It's Monday so I thought it would be a good day to begin construction on this new baby of mine. Hang in there with me as I figure it all out. I'm like an old dog learning a new trick!


Yesterday I cooked up a batch of Apple Cranberry Jam from Food in Jars . Marisa has some amazing recipes for novice and experienced canners. Most of them are small batch recipes which are nice if you're trying something new.
This is a great jam for those 'first timers' as apples and cranberries both contain so much natural pectin that it sets up quite easily. And just look how beautiful it is! Bright red with chunks of soft apple and tangy cranberry. I can't wait to give these as Christmas gifts. I know you wanna be on my list!

Apple-Cranberry Jam  From Food in Jars
Makes 5 pints (I got 6 pints from mine but I didn't measure my apples)

8 cups peeled, cored, and diced apples (about 4 pounds)
4 cups fresh cranberries
6 cups sugar
zest and juice of 2 lemons

Prepare a boiling water bath along with jars and lids.

Combine apples, cranberries, sugar and 1 cup of water in a large pot (use a big one as this jam will bubble up). Bring to a boil over high heat, skimming off the foam that develops on top of the fruit. Continue to boil for 15-20 minutes until the cranberries pop and apples soften.

Add the lemon zest and juice. Reduce heat and simmer until the liquid has thickened, about 10-15 minutes.

Remove pot from heat and ladle into prepared jars. Wipe the rims, apply the lids and rings, and process in boiling water bath for 10 minutes.

Remove jars to a kitchen towel on your counter and allow to cool completely. Remove rings after 24 hours, wipe jars clean, label and store them! It's simple really - don't be intimidated! We've been canning our own food for years!


Alright, I'm whipping up a batch of pumpkin marmalade today so I need to go stir the pot. Happy Monday! Make someone smile today :)

No comments:

Post a Comment